Prince Harry’s U.S. Immigration Files Unsealed After Legal Challenge amid Memoir’s Drug Use Disclosure

Published: Mar 19 2025

The United States visa records of Prince Harry were unveiled to the public in response to a Freedom of Information (FOI) request, as reported by ITV. On March 15, Judge Carl Nichols issued an order compelling the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to disclose redacted versions of the pertinent documents. This ruling followed a September decision by Judge Nichols, which initially deemed the disclosure of these files as lacking public interest, a stance later challenged by the Heritage Foundation.

Prince Harry’s U.S. Immigration Files Unsealed After Legal Challenge amid Memoir’s Drug Use Disclosure 1

In May 2023, the Heritage Foundation submitted an FOI request, seeking clarification on how Prince Harry, now 40, managed to migrate to the U.S. in 2020, amidst revelations in his 2023 memoir, 'Spare,' about his past indulgence in illegal drugs. According to the policy guidelines of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, applicants found to be drug abusers or addicts are deemed inadmissible. However, those who have overcome their addiction or abuse may reapply for immigration benefits.

On Tuesday, March 18, a heavily redacted set of exhibits was released, which notably excluded Prince Harry's visa application itself. PEOPLE magazine reached out to a representative of the Duke of Sussex for comment on the matter.

In his candid memoir, Prince Harry recounted experimenting with cocaine at the age of 17, smoking marijuana, and ingesting psychedelic mushrooms. The Duke of Sussex, along with his wife, Meghan Markle, relocated to her hometown of California in 2020, after stepping away from their royal duties in the UK. They have since resided there with their children, Prince Archie, 5, and Princess Lilibet, 3. While the Duchess of Sussex, aged 43, holds U.S. citizenship, the BBC previously reported uncertainty regarding the type of visa Prince Harry holds in the U.S.

In June 2023, the DHS rejected the FOI request and sought to dismiss the case, arguing that immigration records are traditionally exempted from FOIA disclosure. Further, in February 2024, lawyers representing the Biden administration contested the request, asserting that visa applications constitute 'private personal information.' The Telegraph quoted John Bardo as telling the court, "Saying something in a book doesn't necessarily make it true."

Earlier in February 2024, former President Donald Trump told the Daily Express that he wouldn't shield Prince Harry from scrutiny concerning the confidentiality surrounding his immigration status. "I wouldn't protect him… He would be on his own if it was down to me," Trump emphasized.

During an interview with Good Morning America last year, Prince Harry admitted to having "considered" becoming a U.S. citizen. Speaking with GMA's Will Reeve at the Invictus Games' One Year to Go celebration in Canada, Reeve inquired about his experience in the U.S., to which Harry replied, "It's amazing. I love every single day." When asked if he felt American, Harry chuckled and said, "Do I feel American? Um, no. I don't know how I feel." He further noted that while the thought of U.S. citizenship had crossed his mind, it was not a "high priority" for him at the moment, emphasizing his focus on the Invictus Games countdown event.

If the Duke of Sussex were to embark on the path to becoming a U.S. citizen, he might be compelled to relinquish his royal titles, according to the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services. The agency's policy manual stipulates, "Any individual seeking citizenship who holds hereditary titles or positions of nobility in any foreign realm must formally renounce such titles or positions. This renunciation must be made explicitly during a public ceremony, and the USCIS must document this renunciation as an integral part of the citizenship process." It further emphasizes, "Failure to renounce such titles or positions indicates a lack of commitment to the Constitution." During the Oath of Allegiance, those with titles are required to declare, "I hereby renounce the title of (mention the title or titles) that I have previously held," or "I hereby renounce the order of nobility (mention the order) to which I have previously belonged," thereby underscoring their dedication to their newfound allegiance.

View all